Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolving to make resolutions -- #1: Read more

My friends and clients tend to think of me as being terribly tech-connected, but there are a few glaring gaps in that rep. Still no TiVo--afraid I might watch too much TV. And I'm cheap. Still no iPhone--thinking I might wait for Verizon service. And I'm cheap.

But today, I slapped some virtual spackling compound on one gap: I finally joined Audible.com, downloaded Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" as my first audio book--and was hooked on both the book and audio books in general by the end of the 11-minute introduction.

My sensitive ears don't really dig the compression (at least on this title?) but I got used to the subtle burbling after a couple minutes. I can tell I'm going to be catching up on a ton of sorely-missed reading.

I'm still cheap, but I think the price per month including 1 book is going to be well worth it.

I'm plotting to start more positive stuff like this in the new year. After more than half a century, I think I'm finally giving into the new year's resolution thing. Somehow I feel safe now that it's not just a passing fad.

Any and all audio book recommendations are welcome!

Posted via web from bobwest's posterous

No comments: